There are various models of best valued long range wifi or wireless router you can choose ranging from low end products such as TP-link WR841HP and Asus RT-N14UHP, up to high end products such as Netgear R6400, Amped Titan or D-link 890L.
Why long range wifi router
We know that the wifi signal strength is constrained by numerous obstacles such as walls, metal cabinet and so on, thereby reducing the signal strength received from the client as well as the range becomes shorter. A spacious house in need of long range wireless router or wifi router with high power that can penetrate many obstacles including walls and other signal interferences. Some vendors introduce long range wifi routers by equipping the router with high gain long external antennas and some kind of high power amplifier to raise the gain to deliver long range coverage. With high gain or high power antennas, the wifi router can penetrate deeper to obstacles such as some walls to reach the longer distance.
There are various models of long range wireless router available in the market you can choose to meet your business need. Some products below are some of them ranging from the low end product to high end product, ranging from the legacy wireless N router to the next generation of wireless AC router.
One of the most valued long range wifi router with legacy wireless N technology is a product offered by TP-link, the TL-WR841HP which the price is under $40. The design is very compact and rigid with two external 9dBi antenna and high power amplifiers. This is the high power version of the standard WR841N router which the price is now down up to $20, very cheap router for standard usage of wireless network at home to connect your mobile Android or iOS mobile devices.
- Based on wireless N300 wifi technology
- Comes with high power amplifier
- Two detachable external 9dBi high gain Omni directional antennas
- 4x Fast Ethernet LAN and 1x WANCons:
- With high power amplifier and 2x9dBi external antennas, this is a cheap long range wifi router ideal for your home with many rooms to support your mobile devices, even it is good for streaming videos and gaming.
- It is a single 2.4GHz band router
- Fast Ethernet ports, and no USB port
Click here for TL-WR841HP spec and current price in Amazon.
With the price under $40, it’s a valuable long range wifi router. However with the lack of USB port you cannot share USB printer or storage disk to the network. Should you require USB port for sharing the disk or printer, you can choose Asus RT-N14UHP.
Unlike the above TP-link WR841HP, this Asus RT-N14UHP comes with three long external high power 9dBi antennas to cover larger area, 3 times larger area to cover than standard wireless router. Besides, Asus RT-N14UHP comes with USB port for sharing storage, printer or even you can share 3G/4G network. The more features you can get with this long range wireless router, the more bucks you have to spend. It costs nearly twice the price of that of WR841HP.
- Based on wireless N300 technology
- Comes with three high power 9dBi external antennas
- 4x fast Ethernet LAN ports and 1x fast Ethernet WAN port
- 1x USB port for sharing network printer, storage and also 3G/4G
- Easy t o setup
- Asus AiCloud app to sync, share and stream files remotely
- You can configure for router, AP or range extender
Click here for Asus RT-N14UHP spec details and price.
However, should you require standard dual band wireless router for small home you may consider best value TP-link Archer C5 which is based on next generation wireless AC1200 technology. The good thing is that the price is only under $75, featuring Gigabit Ethernet ports and two USB ports.
Click here for Archer C5 spec and current price.
TP-link Archer C5 is best value for standard wireless network with wireless AC technology, however it doesn’t come with high power antenna. For better coverage you may consider Netgear R6400 AC1750, it is a long range wireless router which is designed with high power antennas. It is designed differently with more features than the predecessor R6300 AC1750 router. Compared with R6300, this R6400 comes with 3x high power antennas instead of internal antennas in R6300.
- Based on AC1750 WiFi with speeds of up to 450Mbps + 1300 Mbps speeds
- High-powered antennas
- Beamforming + technology for solid wifi connection
- Comes with two USB ports; 1x USB 3.0 port and 1x USB 2.0 port for storage and printer
- ReadyCLOUD USB Access for personal cloud storage
- Support secure VPN connection
- ReadySHARE Vault Automatically backs up your PC to a USB hard drive connected to your router
- NETGEAR genie App
Click here for R6400 spec details and price in Amazon.
4. Amped AC1900 router
Amped wireless has been specialized itself to produce high power wifi devices including high power long range wifi router and adapters. One of its high power router products that is successful in the market is Amped Titan RTA1900 long range wireless router. One of its unique design is that this router contains 14 power amplifiers and 4 high gain external antennas including:
- See also related article comparison Netgear R6400 Vs Archer C7 Vs Asus AC66U.
- This is a redefined wireless AC1750 router offered by Netgear. A much better coverage than R6300 router or Archer C5, however you need to pay more bucks for this long range wifi router.
- 3×2.4GHz high power amplifiers;
- 4×2.4GHz signal reception amplifiers;
- 3x5GHz high power amplifiers;
- 4x5GHz signal reception amplifiers;
- 4x high gain 5dBi dual band antennas
You can compare with Asus, Netgear or TP-link the way its high power amplifiers are designed that makes this RTA1900 Amped is different. Similar product you can consider for faster router – the Amped Athena wireless AC2600 (RTA2600) router.
What features that make this Amped is different?
- Based on wireless AC1900 technology
- Speeds up to 600Mbps in 2.4GHz band and up to 1300Mbps in 5GHz band
- 14 high power amplifiers and 4 x high Antenna-Rx technology
- Powered by high performance 1GHz dual core processor
- Gigabit interfaces for LAN (4x) and WAN (1x)
- Two USB ports (1x USB 3.0 and 1x USB 2.0)
To list a complete technical specs, click here for Amped RTA1900 spec details and price.
D-Link AC3200 Router
This is the most wanted high end router at a moment, the best wireless AC router with three band technology (1×2.4GHz band and 2x 5GHz band) – the D-link DIR 890L/R. This is one of the best long range wifi routers with wireless AC3200 technology delivering total bandwidth of up to 3200Mbps. D-link 890L/R is competing very tight with its rival Netgear Nighthawk X6, both routers have very good rating in some online stores including Amazon. The speed and the long range coverage are very good compared with others.
- Based on wireless AC3200 – three band technology
- Delivers up to 600Mbps in 2.4GHz, plus 2x up to 1300Mbps in 5GHz band.
- Comes with Smart Beam and Smart connect technology for solid connections
- Powered by 1GHz dual core processor
- Six high performance external antennas
- Gigabit Ethernet interfaces for LAN (4x) and WAN (1X)
- Two USB ports, 1x USB 3.0 and 1x USB 2.0
Basically this product is not designed specifically for long range wifi router, however the performance can deliver the whole coverage of your large house. Still costly so far actually just like other three band routers such as Asus AC3200 router, or cheaper TP-link Archer C3200 router.
Click here for D-link 890L/R spec details and current price.
Choose one of those models of long range wireless router that meets your business need, whether you need single band, dual band or even the latest technology three band router – choose the best to meet your need.