Which wireless router extender is suitable for you? The best wireless extender to eliminate dead zones in home, best range extender to reach the farthest corner of homes.
Why wireless router extender
A single wireless router is sometimes not enough to cover the whole home with strong wifi signal to reach the farthest corner of the house particularly if you have large home with backyard, swimming pool, tree home, and probably two storey building. This is sometimes due to the wireless router is not placed in the center of the area to cover with strong signal. Because frequently the router is placed close to where the Cable Internet line is end up from the provider to the customer’s premises, this point is sometimes not located in the center of the house but at one side of the house.
Mostly home wireless router products come with Omni-directional antennas which broadcast the wifi signal to all direction in the circle of 360 degree with router at the center. You can guest that half of the wifi signal is directing to the other side of the house, the neighbor home the area where you should not cover. It is therefore you require an extender, the best wireless extender to eliminate dead zones.
Best range extender
Selecting which wireless router extender is the best is sometimes confusing because each 6 months or one year time the vendor introducing new models of wifi extender products with richer features and more advanced technology in line with the emerging of the latest technology.
Today, you may also consider new era of home wifi system. It is something like combination of wireless router and its satelite so don’t need wireless range extender to extend the coverage. See also Orbi home wifi system by Netgear, and Amplifi home wifi system and still more.
The following lists 10 products you may consider to add to your home network to extend the coverage when the requirement is existing. Choose the one that meets your business need including your current wifi router, the obstacles and probably consideration should you need wall-plug model or desktop model.
Netgear releases two wall-plug design of wireless extender, the EX7300 AC2200 and EX6400 AC1900. The EX7300 Nighthawk X4 is the new flagship in range extender with the highest speed offered by Netgear so far, one of the two range extender products introduced in early 2016 besides EX6400. Unlike EX6400 which is engineered based on wireless AC1900, this Nighthawk X4 is engineered based on wireless AC2200 technology.
- Wall-plug model
- Based on wireless AC 802.11ac standard with total bandwidth up to 2200Mbps
- Dual band concurrently speeds up to 450 Mbps (2.4GHz band) and up to 1733Mbps (5GHz band)
- Internal antenna array with high power amplifier for better range
- MU-MIMO technology
- Beamforming+ technology
- FastLane technology – a technology to use both band for super high speed connection
- Universal extender – works with any router or gateway
Nighthawk X4 EX7300 is one of the best wireless extender introduced by Netgear ever, and at the same time Netgear introduced another version of Netgear Nighthawk X4s wireless AC2600 router which is up to today very successful with high rating in some of online shops including Amazon. See comparison Nighthawk X4s and Linksys and Archer AC2600 and Netgear AC2600 vs D-link and Asus. You may pair this wifi extender with this high speed router when the requirement exists.
TP-link RE-590T Touch screen
Various models of wireless router extender is offered by TP-link and mostly are small device with wall-plug models and one of them is RE450 AC1750 which becomes one of best range extender product with wall-plug model, stylist design with three external antenna. This RE-590T is different than the other extender products which is designed with touch screen to help you setup and manage the network easily without a computer.
- Desktop model with touch screen to help you easily setup and manage the network
- Based on wireless AC1900 technology dual band simultaneously
- Expand your wifi coverage up to 10,000 sq ft with high powered 700mW amplifiers
- 4x Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports
- Smart Signal indicator helps you find the best spot
- TP-link Tether app to helps you manage the network remotely with your mobile devices
- Universal extender works with any wireless router and access point.
You may also compare this product with the one offered by Netgear – the Nighthawk EX7000 AC1900 range extender which is also in desktop model and engineered with the same wifi AC1900 technology. However, Netgear EX7000 model is not touch screen.
So far this product is rated excellent in Amazon with 4.3 and becomes one of best wireless extender with touch screen model in the market and is tagged with the price $130.
Amped RE2600 wifi range extender
Amped wireless is well known with the “high power” wifi devices including wireless routers, wireless range extender and wireless adapters. Some devices are powered by multiple amplifiers to boost the wifi strength and coverage such as Amped RTA2600 Athena high power router 16 power amplifiers. And this wireless router extender is also powered by 16 amplifiers too.
- Engineered based on wireless AC2600 technology
- Delivers speeds of up to 1733Mbps (5GHz band) and up to 800Mbps (2.4GHz band)
- MU-MIMO technology
- 16 High powered amplifiers and 4x high gain antennas
- Comes with 2 USB ports – 1x USB 3.0 and 1x USB 2.0 ports
- 4x Gigabit LAN Ports
- Extending coverage up to 15,000 Sq ft
- Elite Support: Amped Wireless’ free, US based, in-house, technical support
To cover longer distance coverage with strong signals, this product is one of best range extender in high bandwidth category you can pair with other high bandwidth dual band routers such as wireless AC1900 routers and AC2400 routers including new Netgear Nighthawk X4s and TP-link Archer AC3150 routers.
Linksys Max-Stream RE7000 wifi range extender
Like Netgear EX7300 flagship product in range extender with wall-plug design, Linksys offers the same wall-plug design product with AC1900 technology – the Linksys Max-Stream RE7000. It has the same speed as EX7300 @5GHz wireless AC connection, while @2.4GHz band the speed is slightly slower. With the price cheaper than EX7300, this Linksys RE7000 will be the main competing product for Nighthawk EX7300.
- Wall-plug design
- Engineered based on AC1900 wifi technology dual band extender
- Concurrent band speeds up to 1733Mbps @5GHz band and up to 300Mbps @2.4GHz band
- Featuring WPS and spot finder technology for optimal placement and performance
- Coverage area up to 10,000 sq.ft.
- Cross-Band and Beamforming Technologies work to optimize Wi-Fi connections
- Gigabit Ethernet RJ-45 port
- Access point mode or Extender mode
For a more detail comparison between Netgear EX7300 and Linksys RE7000 click the following link Netgear EX7300 vs Linksys RE7000.
This Max-Stream RE7000 is the Linksys flagship product in wifi range extender with wall-plug design.
Securifi Almond 2015
This product is actually new in router and is actually more popular with wireless router extender function than the wireless router, this Securifi Almond is a multi-mode product you can configure as the wireless router, wireless range extender or a wireless access point similar function as the above Motoraux product. However this product comes with desktop model, not wall-plug model. What makes this product different is the touch screen. You can setup the device easily via the touch screen, no need a PC or Mac to configure the product. You can find similar product like the one offered by TP-link RE590T as discussed in #2 above.
- Comes with single band N300 technology
- Touch screen for simple setup – doesn’t require PC or Mac for configuration
- Powerful amplifier for longer range
- Integrated with Smart-home such as door / windows controller, lights control, locks system using mobile devices – Android or iOS with free apps
- Remote access using Almond apps either Android or iOS
- Multi modes – router; range extender; wireless bridge or AP
This Securifi Almond is successful products so far and becomes one of best wireless extender and best seller for some period of time in Amazon. This product is still based on N300 wifi, and for similar product that based on wireless AC technology select the Securifi Almond Plus AC1750.
It’s popularity of the products makes this device is more expensive than its competing wireless router extender products, compared with Motoraux, TP-link and other wireless AC range extender this Almond is still more expensive knowing that the wifi is only N300. However, you can utilize the other home smart features by integrating to other security sensors such as widows controller, light control and so on.
Continued ….to top 10 best range extender part 2.